Sunday 16 October 2005

Mary Tyler Moore - more is not enough

Imagine my delight at receiving the box sets of 'The Mary Tyler Moore Show' series 1 and 2 DVDs. Nothing for it but to watch all 48 episodes one after another. And I'm so pleased I did - what an excellent show it was!

It stands the test of time in terms of the humour and the issues it deals with, only the clothes let it down (at times, badly!). The first episode is an excellent scene-setter, giving the viewer a really good idea about what the show is about, touching on each of the main characters to get a feel for them and lots of humour.

I like the character of Mary and would love to meet her, Rhoda is someone I'd love as a friend, Lou is a boss I'd hate to work for but very comedic, and Ted, Murray and Phyllis are very well crafted characters.

Has it ever been repeated? I can't recall. It ran from 1970 to 1977 - I'm sure I didn't see the later seasons (if they were even aired in this country) but I did watch 'Rhoda' and 'Lou Grant'. What a great little company MTM Enterprises, Inc was and a great stable of programmes. They all ought to be repeated at a time we can watch them - lets face it, programmes made last week seem to be endlessly repeated over the various digital channels so why not throw in a few MTM shows as well?

I've had a delightful few days working through all 48 episodes of the show and can't wait for other season's to be issued on DVD (if they ever are, but I'm not holding my breath).

As an antidote to excessive niceness I just *had* to watch the Sex Pistols 'The Filth and the Fury'... and very educational it is too!

No comments: